Committed To Becoming More Age-Friendly
The City of Rockingham is an Age-friendly Community where older people feel included, valued, and respected for their contribution to their community. Older people live in affordable, secure and safe environments, enjoy good health and lifestyle choices, and have the opportunity to access and participate in affordable social activities and paid / volunteer work. In 2012 the City became a member of the WHO Age-friendly Global Network and continues its commitment to become more Age-friendly.
The City’s first Active Ageing Strategy was endorsed in 2009 with the City involved in leading, supporting and facilitating the implementation of the strategy actions. Key highlights from this strategy included the:
- development of Lifestyle Forums which link seniors to information and resources on a wide variety of topics (including health, housing, transport and finance)
- installation of Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre telephone lines at an aged care facility and library which provide free and confidential information on local carer support, disability and community services
- development of an annual Seniors Expo which connects seniors and carers to a wide variety of local service providers, government agencies, community groups and organisations
- initiation of the Tales of Times Past program for seniors to share their generational experiences and stories with children, adults and other seniors
- development of the Rockingham Connect Community Transport Service which provides heavily subsidised transport to those in the community who are transport disadvantaged
- development of a networking group for services and community groups that provide services to seniors.
The City’s current Seniors Strategy incorporates Age- and Dementia-friendly principles and actions. The City’s Seniors Advisory Committee was consulted with during each stage of the development of the Seniors Strategy (2017-2021). The Seniors Advisory Committee, comprising of community members and two Councillors, provides information, advice and guidance to Council on matters pertaining to seniors within the City of Rockingham and therefore plays a pivotal part in the City’s Age-friendly commitment.
A copy of the City’s Seniors Strategy (2017-2021) can be downloaded here .