Committed To Becoming More Age-Friendly
Buenos Aires Argentina
The city of Buenos Aires has the highest ageing population of the country. Therefore the city’s government created the Secretary of Integration of the Elderly that promotes social inclusion, healthy and active ageing.
The main goal of the secretary is to make our city more age-friendly and to promote the WHO eight domains of livability such as respect of the elderly and social inclusion and participation.
The city has many programs and services that serve older adults:
- Active Ageing Program: we promote mental health and social connections by offering free courses and workshops. There is a huge variety in the type of workshops and classes: nutrition and exercise workshop, literary workshop, plastic arts workshop, memory workshop, health workshops, history classes, health classes, sexuality classes, philosophy classes, and social participation classes. We offer online and face-to-face courses.
- Productive Ageing Program: we enable the active participation of people in economic development activities, formal and informal work and voluntary activities.
- Digital inclusion Program: we want to empower older people through information and communication technologies. We gave away 106.000 tablets to older people who received a low pension. Now we offer free courses aimed at teaching older people on how to use the tablets, and courses related on the use of internet and social media.
- Elderly Households Project: that will provide attention and personalized accompaniment to older people because it has a division by pathologies (dependents, semi-dependents and conflicting seld-dependent). Also it involves the construction of a new home for self-dependent that connects older people with the rest of society (similar to Benchmark Elderly Cohousing). In addition we offer an economic aid to those who can’t afford to live in their own homes.
- Protection Program: we promote social integration of older people and protect the elderly from social abuse and marginalization.