Committed To Becoming More Age-Friendly
Vila Nova de Foz Coa Portugal
Vila Nova de Foz Coa is committed to improving the quality of life of our elders in the community. In 2013, Vila Nova de Foz Coa joined the WHO’s Global Network of Age-Friendly Cities and Communities.
Vila Nova de Foz Coa has implemented the following activities over the years to better support our senior population:
• 100niors d’ouro: The city offers a birthday party to residents who celebrate 100 years of life.
• File Memory Coa Valley: Collecting memories of elders made by young students.
• Health on Wheels: Monitoring the health status of the elderly in collaboration with the Portuguese Red Cross.
• Help you!: Provides technical resources to residents with motor deficits.
• Move!: Provides physical activities for seniors over 55 years.
• Enjoy!: Provides recreational activities for the elderly in residential homes to occupy their leisure time.
Vila Nova de Foz Coa has the following plans in place to create an age-friendly environment for our senior citizens:
• Maintenance of the Municipal Senior Card
• Maintenance of the Social Support Centre
• Implementation of a tele-assistance service
• Implementation of the Small Repairs Home Service
• Support 65 – elderly safety
• Mobile Health Unit
• Implementation of Automated External Defilbrillator (AED)
• Volunteering in health
• Creation of a local Volunteer Bank
• Urban regeneration and establishment and improvement of leisure spaces for seniors
• Implementation of the Senior University of Vila Nova de Foz Coa
• Creating a day centre in the historic centre of Vila Nova de Foz Coa