Committed To Becoming More Age-Friendly
Spanish Network of Age-friendly Cities and Communities Spain
Imserso is the Affiliated body to the GNAFCC in Spain
Imserso (Institute for the Elderly and Social Services) is a public body under the Ministry of Health, Consumer Affairs and Social Welfare, with competencies in the field of the older people and people in dependency situation.
In the framework of the Collaboration Agreement with WHO in 2011 and renewed in september 2017, it is the body in charge in Spain of:
- Promote and support GNAFCC, facilitating membership of Spanish municipalities to the Network and the implementation of the Project in cities and communities.
- Create a Spanish Network of Age-friendly Cities and Communities to facilitate exchange of knowledge and experiences in the creation of age-friendly environments.
Imserso offers cities and communities in Spain:
- Information, advice and support to facilitate both, the process of joining the Network to the interested municipal corporations and the implementation and development of the project in all its phases.
- Website ciudadesamigables.imserso.es as a knowledge and exchange tool.
- Information and technical advice on universal accessibility and support products or technologies that facilitate personal autonomy and participation, carried out by Ceapat (State Reference Center for Personal Autonomy and Technical Aid, under Imserso).
- Training for municipalities who want to join the Network, through seminars and meetings and also online training.
- Support to cities and communities in the dissemination and visibility of the project in their municipality (using www.ciudadesamigables.imserso.es, social networks –Twitter and Facebook-, Blog, Newsletter of the Spanish Network).
- Facilitates contact between Spanish cities and communities, and the exchange and dissemination of experiences. Organizes face-to-face meetings between Spanish cities and communities.
- Between 2014 and 2018 six informative seminars have been organized with the aim of spreading and raising awareness about the AFCC Network. The first one took place in Madrid, in the headquarters of Imserso, and the following have been carried out in other cities with the geographic criterion of reaching different regions of Spain to facilitate the participation of municipalities from different Autonomous Communities.
Imserso has had the support of the Group of Experts created in 2013 which keeps currently working. This group is made up of city councils, elderly organizations, associations and companies with experience in the design, planning and development of the AFCC project. The diversity in the composition of this group has allowed to have different perspectives that have enriched the work developed and its results and has facilitated public-private collaboration.
The work of this Group of Experts has had two main focus:
- Development of support tools and recommendations for cities and communities.
- Spreading and communication strategy, which includes the organization of Seminars in different regions of Spain (about 600 people have attended these Seminars between 2014-2018), presentation of the Network in several events and publication of articles in different media in the field of elderly people.
- At the beginning of 2019 the “Guide for recommendations for communication in the AFCC project” has been published, with three main objectives: to inform about the project, to raise awareness about the reality of the elderly and to achieve high participation in the project.
In 2017 Imserso began to organize the annual meetings of Age-friendly cities and communities in Spain, addressed to municipality policy makers and technical staff, as well as to organizations of older people involved in the Project. These meetings have the following objectives:
- Show experiences of different municipalities to learn from each other, solve doubts and facilitate the debate.
- Generate mutual support networks between municipalities, which facilitate sharing resources and learning.
- Improve the quality of the projects and actions developed within the framework of the global age-friendly movement promoted by WHO
Municipalities had the main role in the Program relating their experiences, difficulties, positive effects, challenges, etc, during the implementation and development of the different project phases.
- I Meeting of Age-friendly cities and communities in Spain. October, 26th, 2017
- II Meeting of Age-friendly cities and communities in Spain. November, 27th, 2018
First ever Hispanic conference on age-friendly cities and communities
Imserso organized in Madrid together with the World Health Organization and the Pan American Health Organization on 14-16 October 2019 the First ever Hispanic conference on age-friendly cities and communities.
AFCC Network activity in Spain availble here.