Committed To Becoming More Age-Friendly
Alexandria, Virginia United States of America
The Strategic Plan on Aging
The Alexandria of Our Future: A Livable Community for All Ages
Current Goals: 2013 – 2017
- Communications and Outreach: Information about services and programs is readily
available and accessible in a variety of formats and venues for older residents of
Alexandria, their families and caregivers, local organizations and businesses.
- Housing: A range of affordable, accessible and supportive housing is available that
meets the needs of older residents of the City to be able to age at home.
- Transportation: A variety of mobility options, including pedestrian-safe streets, make
moving in and around the city and region possible for Alexandrians of all ages and
- Community Services: Community services accommodate the expectations and needs of
aging Alexandrians and support their caregivers.
- Economic and Workforce Development: The important contributions of older
Alexandrians to the city’s economy are recognized, and the innovative entrepreneurship
of older residents is encouraged.
- Quality of Life: The quality of life of all Alexandrians is enhanced by the many
volunteer activities of its older residents and their continued involvement in the social
and civic life of the city
- Health, Wellness and safety: All residents, with special attention to lower-income, older
city residents, optimize their wellness and receive the health care they require.