Mornington Peninusla Shire Annual Update and Community Summit
The Shire and the community reflect on progress in implementing the ‘Whole-of-Council, Whole-of Community’ Positive Ageing Strategy and to provide an opportunity to consider emerging issues
- With an emphasis on creating ownership and enthusiasm around the Summit and for Positive Ageing awareness within the community (service providers, residents and community groups) and within the Shire organisation.
- The initial Community Summits began relatively small, building up to this larger summit event. Importantly, this summit marks and streamlines both the completion of the Positive Ageing Strategy 2013-2018 cycle and the start of consultations for the development of the Shire’s next Positive Ageing Strategy (2020-2025).
The Positive Ageing Strategy, Mornington Peninsula, A Community for All Ages utilises the 8 domains of the World Health Organisation (WHO) Global Framework for Creating Age Friendly Cities and Communities:
- Social Participation
- Civic Participation & Employment
- Community Services & Health Services
- Respect & Inclusion
- Outdoor Buildings & Spaces
- Communication & Information
Themes for the Summit
Following on from the 2016 Summit lens of Social Isolation and Loneliness, and the 2017 Summit lens of A Connected Community through Communication and Information, the 2018 Summit returned to using the wide lens of – ‘What kind of community do you want to live and age in?’. The Summit also continued with an emphasis on catching emerging issues by exploring the following questions:
- Are we still on track?
- Are there any new emerging issues?
- Are there any new ideas and ways we can work together as a community to achieve/get it right?
- Where to next
Developing the next Positive Ageing Strategy, 2020-2025
Importantly, this summit marks both the completion of the Positive Ageing Strategy 2013-2018 cycle and the start of consultations for the development of the Shire’s next Positive Ageing Strategy, 2020-2025.
Timeline for development of next iteration of the Shire’s Positive Ageing Strategy
2019 – Further community consultations and drafting of new strategy
2020 – Positive Ageing Strategy progresses through Council approval processes and is adopted