Les buts, les objectifs ou les cibles de nutrition:
- To assist the Maltese population towards adopting a healthy dietary pattern across the lifecourse;
- To encourage all government entities to place health in the consideration of all policies related to the production, marketing, sale, provision and choice of food;
- To be responsive to the links with the social determinants of health and health inequalities and focus on the most vulnerable groups;
- To implement dietary intake and nutritional status surveillance and monitoring of the population with a special focus on children;
- To accelerate action in the field of obesity prevention and control by means of the implementation of the actions proposed in the Healthy Weight for Life Strategy, with a focus on children, comprehensive preventive and treatment approaches and intersectoral action under the leadership of the Ministry for Energy and Health.
- To promote healthy nutrition as the basis for healthy behaviours for the population of Malta;
- To increase the vegetable and fruit intake in the population;
- To reduce salt intake;
- To reduce the consumption of foods high in saturated fats, trans-fats and sugars;
- To address inequalities in food accessibility;
- To halt and reverse the obesity trend in children, adults and older persons.
These identified five priority action areas were:
- To increase the information about the food and nutrition action plan to all stakeholders;
- To improve the availability and accessibility of drinking water in schools;
- To increase the number of mothers that exclusively breastfeed up to six months;
- To reduce the availability and intake of foods high in fat, sugar, and salt in schools;
- To develop a comprehensive surveillance and monitoring system on food consumption.