5. RECOMMENDED POLICY ACTIONS
The ECD Strategic Plan contains a comprehensive results framework which is organised into four Strategic Outcomes, which will be achieved over the course of the five-year Strategic Plan.
a) Operationalize policy and institutional framework to support the implementation of ECD at all levels
b) Increase equitable access for all children aged 0-6 to adequate early stimulation, effective and relevant education, sufficient nutrition, quality health care and protection.
c) Strengthen effective public-private and international partnership supporting the integration of services, scale up & sustainability of ECD interventions
d) Evidence Based Programming and Effective Monitoring and Evaluation There are Output-level results for each Outcome which contains specific activities, with indicators, targets, timelines and budgets, with the responsible actor identified for each activity.
While the ECD Strategic Plan lays out the recommended policy actions in greater detail, below are the key recommended policy actions which will be implemented to meet the ECD Policy Objectives:
Operationalize policy and institutional framework to support the implementation of ECD at all levels
1) Develop and disseminate ECD Standards and Guidelines to support smooth implementation
2) Establish National institutional framework to define roles and responsibilities, including TORs and induction programme for National coordinating bodies.
3) Establish Multi-sectoral ECD implementation teams at district and sector levels, conduct induction program and advocate for budget provision for ECD at district level.
4) Build Capacity of community ECD centre management teams and develop manual for ECD centre management.
5) Develop and Implement Communication strategy, organize seminars and sensitization campaigns on ECD and protection of children against violence, and contribute to Radio/TV talk shows, develop flyers, newspapers articles etc.
Increase equitable access for all children aged 0-6 to adequate early stimulation, effective and relevant education, sufficient nutrition, quality health care and protection.
1) Adapt and include Family ECD package (stimulation, nutrition, child protection and primary health care) into existing health and nutrition programs for infants and toddlers, integrate family ECD package into training for health professionals and sensitize community leaders, parents and future parents on the importance of ECD and protection of children.
2) Scale up Mother and child primary health care services in communities.
3) Develop screening tools to identify children with special needs and developmental delays and incorporate intervention programmes for children with specials needs and into ECD programmes.
4) Provide ECD facilities and equipment countrywide to ensure one ECD centre per
Sector (Community based, school based, Health centre-based, centres for children in vulnerable circumstances).
5) Establish ECD pre and in service training system (accreditation and professional development) and produce textbooks and tutors’ guide for ECD.
6) Improve quality of ECD service provision in ECD centres (3-6 year old) though curriculum and materials development, integrating ECD supervision, mentoring and monitoring support into induction programme for all Sector Officers.
7) Support ECD Nutrition Programme.
8) Train communities on child rights and protection, including protecting children against violence.
Strengthen effective public-private and international partnership supporting the integration of services, scale up & sustainability of ECD interventions
1) Establish Effective Coordination and resource mobilisation mechanisms to bring together Public and Private sector partners, putting in place a national ECD
Secretariat and a fundraising package to mobilize resources for ECD scale up.
2) Develop MoUs with Public and Private actors, civil society, FBOs and development partners outlining commitments to support ECD.
3) Establish a trust fund to support community ECD activities and ensure sustainability.
Evidence Based Programming and Effective Monitoring and Evaluation
1) Develop and Operationalize Strategic M & E and Research Plan and disseminate and publish key findings.
2) Establish Data management, information and reporting systems, agree upon key ECD indicators for Rwanda ensuring their integration into national information system (DEVI INFO, EMIS, IMIS)
3) Implement M&E capacity building plan at national, district and community level