Goals, objectives or targets related to nutrition:
The goal of this strategy is to ensure IDD elimination in Romania. Ensuring sustainable IDD elimination requires:
- constantly maintaining the demand to eliminate iodine deficiency induced risks;
- ensuring that iodized salt is of adequate quality, is available and affordable;
- complete and accurate information of all strata and segments of society about the importance of iodine in the diet for optimal mental development.
Both the general objectives and the specific objectives constitute a very important part of the implementation of the strategy on IDD elimination. Under general objectives there can be listed:
- reduce IDD incidence and ensure normal development of the human body;
- produce iodized salt in accordance with the provisions in effect, both for the use of human beings and for animals, as an essential vehicle for iodine intake;
- ensure an adequate supply of iodized salt on the market;
- develop and improve a national surveillance and monitoring system of iodized salt production and consumption;
- provide health policies and a regulatory framework capable of sectoral and multi-sectoral responses in the area of IDD elimination.