To improve, through optimal feeding, the nutritional status, growth, development and health of infants in Seychelles.
1. To provide education on the health advantages of breastfeeding to all expectant mothers and their families as appropriate, so that they can make an informed choice about how they will feed their babies.
2. To implement best practice standards for breastfeeding. The UNICEF/ WHO Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative’s Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding for Maternity Services are recognized as standard statements. It aims to provide best practice in the promotion and support of breastfeeding.
3. To create a conducive environment to support mothers to breastfeed exclusively for six months, and then to continue to do so up to the age of two years and beyond if they wish.
4. To build the capacity of all health staff who care for mothers and their babies to provide accurate information about the benefits and management of breastfeeding; and to support women to breastfeed their children confidently and successfully.
5. To foster liaison with all health care professionals to ensure a seamless delivery of care.
6. To encourage and support a breastfeeding culture throughout the local community.
7. To increase the prevalence and duration of both exclusive and continued breastfeeding in Seychelles.