FEDERAL LAW NO. 29-FZ OF JANUARY 2, 2000 ON THE QUALITY AND SAFETY OF FOOD PRODUCTS (with the Amendments and Additions of December 30, 2001, January 10, June 30, 2003, August 22, 2004, May 9, December 5, 31, 2005, March 31, December 30, 2006)
Adopted by the State Duma on December 1, 1999
Approved by the Federation Council on December 23, 1999
Article 2. Legal Regulation of Relations in the Field of Ensuring the Quality and Safety of Food Products
The legal regulation of relations in the field of ensuring the quality and safety of food products shall be carried out by this Federal Law, other federal laws and other normative legal acts of the Russian Federation adopted in accordance therewith, and also by laws and other normative legal acts of the entities of the Russian Federation. Federal laws, laws of the entities of the Russian Federation and other normative legal acts adopted in accordance therewith in the part concerning the ensuring of the quality and safety of food products must not contain any norms that are contrary to this Federal Law. If an international treaty of the Russian Federation establishes any rules other than those stipulated by the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of ensuring the quality and safety of food products, then the rules of the international treaty shall apply.
Article 15. Requirements to Ensuring the Quality and Safety of Food Products
- Food products designed for realisation must satisfy the physiological needs of a human being by the necessary substances and energy, meet the requirements normally set for food products concerning the organoleptic and physicochemical indices and conform to the requirements established by normative documents for the permissible content of chemical (including radioactive) and biological substances and their compounds, and microorganisms hazardous to the health of the present and future generations.
- The nutritive value of children's foods must conform to the functional state of the organism of a child with regard to his or her age. Children's foods must be safe for the health of a child.
- Dietary foods must have some properties enabling the use of such products for medicinal and prophylactic nutrition of a human beings in accordance with the requirements established by the federal body of executive power in the field of public health, to the organisation of dietary nutrition and be safe for human health
Article 18. Requirements to Ensuring the Quality and Safety of Food Products in Their Prepackaging, Packing and Marking
- Food products must be prepackaged and packed in such ways that make it possible to ensure the preservation of quality and safety in their storage, carriage and realisation.
- Individual businessmen and juridical persons carrying out the prepackaging and packing of food products must observe the requirements of normative documents to the prepackaging and packing of food products, their marking, and also to the materials used for the packing and marking of food products.
- On the tags or labels or inserts of the packed food products, besides the information whose composition is determined by the legislation of the Russian Federation on the protection of the rights of consumers with regard to the types of food products, the following information must be indicated in the Russian language: on the nutritive value (caloric value, content of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and macro and micro elements); on the purpose and conditions of application (with respect to children's food, dietary foods and biological active additives); on the methods and conditions of the manufacture of precooked dishes (with respect to concentrates and half-finished food products); on the conditions of storage (with respect to food products for which there are certain established requirements to the conditions of their storage); on the date of manufacture and the date of packing of food products.
Article 30. The Putting into Effect of This Federal Law
- This Federal Law shall be put into effect as of the day of its official publication, with the exception of the provisions of Item 1 of Article 10 of this Federal Law, which shall be put into effect as of the day of the official publication of relevant normative legal acts approved by the Government of the Russian Federation.