Goals, objectives or targets related to nutrition:
The Whole School Approach to Healthy Lifestyle: Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Policy aims to:
- Give high priority to healthy eating and physical activity through holistic education.
- Strengthen the necessary framework and support an enabling school environment to help the whole school community to adopt healthier patterns of living by encouraging physical activity, promoting healthy foods and limiting the availability of products high in salt, sugar and fats.
- Empower children to achieve the required physical and health literacy, to adopt a healthy lifestyle from an early age and to make informed choices about their lifestyles throughout the life course.
- Make provision for a flexible curriculum which highlights health, nutrition, food safety and hygiene and food preparation, which promotes physical activity.
- Ensure that clear and consistent messages about food, drink and physical activity are delivered across the school day as to reinforce the health messages consistent with those promoted by the Health Authorities.
The Ministry for Education and Employment has the lead responsibility for monitoring the implementation of this policy.