18 July 2000 No VIII-1871 (As last amended on 25 June 2015 – No XII-1885) Consolidated version valid as of 1 November 2015
Article 14. Food advertising
1. In advertising, it shall be prohibited:
- to indicate or mention the food characteristics which it does not possess, as well as healing or disease prevention characteristics and other properties, unless the provision of such information conforms to the requirements stipulated in legal acts;
- to indicate that a certain food has particular characteristics, where all similar products actually possess the same characteristics.
2. Advertising of infant formulae shall be restricted to publications specialising in health care and scientific publications in accordance with the procedure laid down by legal acts.
3. Food advertising must indicate that food is genetically modified where, according to statutory requirements, it must be labelled showing the information that such food is genetically modified organisms, that food contains or its ingredients contain genetically modified organisms, that food has been produced from genetically modified organisms or that it contains parts produced from genetically modified organisms.
4. Advertising of food supplements must bear the label ‘food supplement’.
5. It shall be prohibited to indicate energy drinks as products of sponsors or advertise them in any other way:
- in educational establishments attended by persons under the age of 18;
- at venues hosting concerts, sports, charity and/or sponsorship and other events for persons under the age of 18 and in advertising thereof;
- at venues hosting theatre performances, movie films and video films for persons under the age of 18 and in advertising thereof;
- in the media for persons under the age of 18 and in advertising thereof;
- in campaigns and contests for persons under the age of 18 and in advertising thereof.
6. It shall be prohibited to distribute energy drinks free of charge for advertising purposes among persons under the age of 18.
7. Advertising of energy drinks must bear the words ‘Do not use with alcoholic beverages’.
8. Rules for the provision of the information indicated in paragraphs 3, 4 and 7 of this Article shall be stipulated by an institution authorised by the Government of the Republic of Lithuania.