Risk factor reduction, health promotion and communications:
- To stimulate inter-sectoral action that promotes the availability, accessibility and consumption of healthy foods by the Belizean public.
- To develop and implement policies and strategies that promote physical activity.
- Review Food & Nutrition Security policy ensuring the inclusion of salt reduction, saturated fats, trans fats & sugar
- Continue the efforts with the Bureau of Standards in food labelling
- Develop/revise school physical education and nutrition policies
- Implement and monitor policies related to alcohol, tobacco, physical education, nutrition and healthy eating
- Devise and implement a comprehensive health communication strategy
- Vendor education, industry dialogue and support for the voluntary reduction of salt, fat and sugar in locally produced food
- Support population-based,community and work-based initiatives for physical activity and health living
- Maintain social mobilization activities such as Wellness Week, Caribbean Nutrition Day to engage more people in healthier living
- Engage media in the promotion of NCD agenda e.g.increasing public awareness on diet and physical activity; voluntary regulation of alcohol advertising and promotion, especially ads aimed at young people, particularly during primetime
- Operational Food & Nutrition Security policy by end 2015
- Operational policies to support healthy eating and physical education in schools by end 2015
- Policies to reduce the impact on children of marketing of foods &non-alcoholic beverages high in saturated fats, trans fatty acids, free sugars, or salt by end 2023