Goals, objectives or targets related to nutrition:
To improve access and educational achievement of schoolchildren through health and nutrition interventions in educational establishments in Ethiopia.
The main objectives are:
- To promote joint planning, designing and implementation of sustainable and quality health and nutrition interventions across the education sector.
- To strengthen coordination, linkage and partnership of SHN interventions by relevant ministries, communities and other stakeholders.
The specific objectives are:
- To improve the quality of education by ensuring the development of child-friendly school environments.
- To promote the provision of safe and sanitary school environments which includes clean and potable water that is well maintained and with gender-segregated hygiene and sanitation facilities.
- To promote the provision of health and nutrition services that can be readily delivered through schools and close to the children’s locality.
- To complement policies and strategies which define how health and nutrition is to be addressed in schools.
- To promote skills-based health and nutrition education that is delivered by trained teachers and health personnel at all levels.
- To ensure mechanisms are put in place for ownership and sustainability of SHN programmes (such as school feeding programmes and other promotive nutrition interventions, cooking demonstrations and school gardens) thereby, increasing access and completion rates by reducing dropout and absenteeism prevalent in chronically food insecure areas of the country.