World Obesity Federation
This statement is delivered by World Obesity Federation, with World Cancer Research Fund International, WaterAid, Union for International Cancer Control, & supported by NCD Alliance, 1,000 Days, & Vital Strategies.
We commend UN agencies & Member States’ efforts to accelerate & align policy actions to address malnutrition in all its forms.
We are concerned with uneven progress & underscore the Director-General’s recommendations for action to reach nutrition & NCD targets.
To accelerate progress in the Decade of Action on Nutrition, we:
• Call for intensified implementation of SMART commitments to address malnutrition in all its forms, prioritising policy & interventions which concurrently address undernutrition, overweight & obesity, & other diet related NCDs;
• Reiterate the potential for comprehensive multi-sectoral actions to strengthen sustainable food systems, & need for policy coherence to benefit human & planetary health;
• Emphasise that prevention & health promotion are pathways to UHC, including but not limited to primary health care, & urge implementation of evidence-informed nutrition policies, in all settings, including breastfeeding promotion, good hygiene practices, vitamin & micronutrient supplementation (where appropriate), food warning labels, marketing restrictions, sugar sweetened beverage taxes, & trans-fat elimination.
• Request governments engage civil society in planning & implementing nutrition & NCD actions, & recommend protecting policymaking from conflict of interest & industry interference;
• Call for governments to prepare for Japan’s 2020 Nutrition Summit, with stronger commitments to SMART policies & increases in domestic & international financing for nutrition & NCDs.