The WHO Kobe Center is organizing a public open forum "Global Action for Scientific Evidence Improvement in Health Emergency and Disaster Risk Management (H-EDRM) –Expected Contribution from Asia and Pacific Region-" in cooperation with the Asia-Pacific Disaster Medical Society on October 16th, 2018.
Over the past few decades, the frequency and severity of natural disasters has accelerated, and tragically, with ever increasing damage and losses to health, life and property in the region. Therefore, there are key questions around what measures and policies are required to protect people's health and living from natural disasters.
In 2016, WHO called upon global experts and researchers to set up the WHO Thematic Platform for H-EDRM Research Network (TPRN). Within the network, core members engaged in discussion and debate, examined policies related to health emergency and disaster risk management, and began to move towards improving scientific evidence.
This WKC Forum will introduce recent progress of the TPRN activities and discuss possible global applications of knowledge and experiences from Japan and the Asia-Pacific region. Significant learning is possible from this region since it faces natural disasters frequently and globally, contains the largest number of affected people.
In recent years, a novel method for post disaster medical data collection was developed within the Asia-Pacific region. This has now been adapted by the Emergency Management Team Strategic Advisory Group (EMTSAG) which is convened by the WHO, and forms the basis for a Minimum Data Set (MDS) system that may be deployable in many settings and situations globally. The future use of the MDS and the application and utility of other available data to understanding disasters’ long term impact on health will also be discussed at this forum.
Date: October 16, 2018 15:15-18:30
Venue: Seaside Hotel Maiko Villa 2F
Language: Japanese / English simultaneous interpretation
Capacity: 300 people
Please refer to the Forum flyer for the registration fee and procedures.
For more information, please contact the forum secretariat at 078-241-3131
※ WKC Forum "Global Action for Scientific Evidence Improvement in Health Emergency and Disaster Risk Management –Expected Contribution from Asia and Pacific Region-" is a part of the 14th Asia Pacific Conference on Disaster Medicine “Public Forum on International Disaster Medicine ～From Hyogo, Kobe to the World”
"Global Action for Scientific Evidence Improvement in Health Emergency and Disaster Risk Management –Expected Contribution from Asia and Pacific Region-"
Moderator: Dr Ryoma Kayano, WKC
Opening remarks:Dr Sarah Louise Barber, Director, WKC/Dr Shinichi Nakayama, Conference President, APCDM
- Mr Jonathan Abrahams, WHO
- Professor Virginia Murray, Public Health England
- Professor Emily Ying Yang Chan, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Professor Teodoro Herbosa, University of the Philippines
- Dr Tatsuhiko Kubo, University of Occupational and Environmental Health
- Dr Phumin Silapunt, Chulabhorn Hospital, Thailand
Panel discussion: Key Area of Work in H-EDRM Research and Up-to-Date Activities
Part 1: “Post-disaster health support system and data management system in Japan”
Chairs: Dr Tatsuro Kai, Saiseikai Senri Hospital and Professor Emily Ying Yang Chan, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Dr Yasuhiro Otomo, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School of Medicine
- Dr Sayaka Gomei, Dokkyo Medical University
- Dr Toshiyuki Ojima, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine
- Dr Shinichi Egawa, Tohoku University
Part 2: “Post-disaster psychosocial management and research activity”
Chairs: Dr Sho Takahashi, University of Tsukuba and Professor Virginia Murray, Public Health England
- Dr Yoshiharu Kim, National Center for Neurology and Psychiatry
- Dr Mélissa Généreux, University of Sherbrooke, Canada
- Professor Sonoe Mashino, University of Hyogo
- Dr Kaninn Keeratipongpaiboon, Bangchak Hospital, Thailand
- Dr Heather Papowitz, WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific
- Dr Nilesh Buddh, WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia
The 14th Asia-Pacific Disaster Medical Society Official Website: http://www.apcdm2018.org/index.html
Forum flyer "International Disaster Medical Prefectural Forum - Toward the World from Kobe / Hyogo": http://apcdm2018.org/data/program/hyogo_forum02.pdf